Fireplaces make stunning focal points in any room, so it’s important that they’re always dressed to impress. If your mantel is looking more blah than beautiful, follow these simple steps and you’ll have it decorated to perfection in no time.
- 1. Clear everything off your mantel so you can start with a clean slate.
- 2. Choose one large piece and centre it on your mantel. Popular choices include mirrors or artwork, just be sure it matches your style and the scale is appropriate to the size of your mantel.
- 3. Next, layer on additional artwork or photos of varying sizes. If possible, try to visualize a triangle, with your centrepiece as the topmost point and your additional pieces angling downward.
- 4. Every good outfit needs accessories, so start adding a few pieces at a time. This is a great way to work in any seasonal items you own, just be sure to step back often to survey your work and ensure your design is still visually pleasing. Add or remove items as needed.
- 5. Don’t forget the hearth! Anchor your design with baskets or bins filled with books, blankets, pillows or an assortment of your favourite accessories.